Wednesday, March 5, 2014
Results
"Sometimes the simplest things can bring about the greatest results." That is a phrase that has been floating around in my head. I was trying to put it to good use when the thought of Moses and the fiery serpents popped into my head. It only compromises Numbers 21: 5-9 in the Old Testament, but it is also mentioned in Alma 33: 19-22 in The Book of Mormon. The story goes as follows, in my own phrasing so don't repeat it if your quoting: The people were mad at God and spoke out against him and he sent "fiery" serpents that bit them and they died from the bite. Not everyone died, not everyone was bit. The people went to Moses to admit their sin in speaking out against the Lord. Moses prayed for them and the Lord said to make a fiery serpent and put it on a pole and anyone who is bitten just had to look at the pole and live. But still many wouldn't do it and died. It was such a simple act for them to do, yet they refused. I think because it was such a simple thing it seemed so crazy to do. The scripture is not "By great things are small and simple, brought to pass." it says "that by small and simple things, are great things come to pass." Alma 37:6. The Lord gave the bitten people a way to live but many did not have the faith to comprehend that such a simple thing could save their life. I'm one that would look just to make sure. I tended to contest at times with what I should be doing, I argue and arguing with the Lord NEVER works in my favor. I have the "You want me to what?", then the "Why?" and finally "Ok, I'll do it even if I feel crazy for doing it, but I know it's what should be done.". Now I just do it without arguing, mostly I'm working on that, but I still get the crazy for doing it feeling but then comes the calm, "That's what I needed you to do"part that helps me know I was doing what the Lord asked of me. It also goes in reverse to where I feel I should do something, but am stopped by the Lord and told not to. I now listen, don't do it and know that is what is necessary. It's not easy. Good thing is my friends that I have spoken with about the subject of following, also get the same feeling of craziness when it happens to them. (Side note: I love my crazy friends.) Satan causes us to doubt which I will say for me makes me think I'm taking crazy pills. But the doubt does not over run me. The fear of the unknown does not drag me down as it has before. The faith that I have nurtured and grown has helped me in ways I never imagined. Likening faith to a seed, if planted it will grow. I know that to be true for the faith that has sprouted in my heart keeps growing. I am grateful for that and for the blessings the Lord pours upon me everyday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment